You think tagging is just too much work? Please read my post "5 reasons why you should start tagging your images now"
What to tag:
- names of persons
- prominent colors and shapes
- everything else you can think of
A good software for tagging pictures
- gives you an easy way of tagging multiple pictures at once
- lets you organize your tags in categories
- stores the tags inside the picture, not in an external database (this way the tags follow the picture when you copy it)
I personally use Adobe Bridge, and I'm very pleased with it.